Friday, June 1, 2012

WOW

The other morning I woke up at 4:30 AM to embark on a journey to Knoxville, TN. I tried to open my eyes, but I fell back asleep and decided that 5:00 AM would still leave sufficient time for a shower and breakfast. I got ready, and at 6:00 (I had to wait until 6:00 to legally be allowed to drive. I believe the law was made so I wouldn't ever have to wake up any earlier) I met my friend Chris when we proceeded to get on the highway for a nice 192 mile drive. It was so much fun...well as fun as the highway can be. We (mostly just me though) jammed out to some mixed cds  and talked and talked and ate some trail mix and talked and drank some water and talked and...I think you get the point. After three hours, we arrived in Knoxville to be greeted by our wonderful friends from St. John's Lutheran Church, the church where we will be working for the summer. 

The last few days in Knoxville, I took part in the training session for WOW (win our world urban ministries) mission camp. This organization works to serve the homeless neighbors in the immediate Knoxville area. From baling clothes to picking up cigarette butts on the streets to playing basketball with kids at daycare centers, we help to care for the community in these little ways. I always talk about how I will never be the one to cure cancer or save the whales, but I will be able to make little differences. WOW serves in exactly these kinds of ways. Some days our goal is just to share a cup of water with someone or even a simple smile.

I can't say I am always completely comfortable walking down the streets of Knoxville or under the giant bridge where the homeless neighbors gather, but my goal for this summer is to learn to see the people through different eyes. My goal is to see them as I would see any person simply walking down the street. My goal is not to become less cautious or less alert, but my goal is to see people for their beauty and their talents. 


No comments:

Post a Comment